Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It's Started!

Believe it or not, this is the beginning of our planting this year!  I've never started onions from seed and have been reading about it for a few weeks now.  I decided with the beautiful weather we had today that it was a good day to start.

These onions will (hopefully) grow into the sets that we'll transplant in early spring.  We'll still buy several sets but I decided it would be good to know how to start them from seed so I can have a bigger selection of varieties.

These onion seeds came from MyPatriotSupply.com.  They have an excellent germination rate with their seeds so I knew it would be my best bet for a successful first try.  Currently, they are sitting on the corner of a cabinet where I normally proof my bread.  Once they germinate, they can move to a cooler area of the house where I can find some light or provide lighting for them.

These warm days are very deceiving but I'm still hoping for some cold weather so we can tap our maple trees in a few weeks.  I made a small amount of syrup a few years ago but I'd like to try again for at least a quart after boiling.

Hope you all are well and looking forward to the season as much as we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment